Tuesday, 14 March 2017

Layout: Little Arthur and the Big Moon

I have been working on this story for quite some time now and I thought I would share some of the steps that have been put into it. Writing this I have learnt a lot about what is 'appropriate' language and structure to be classed as a childrens book. I do find myself wanting to be more descriptive and express more details in the scene or action but when you have text with images and the audiences age range is so young the majority of the time it is unnecessary. This was a challenge as my first few drafts weren't 'child-friendly' in the sense the words were too long or too mature for young children, having said that it is still enjoyable and nowhere near finished so I best crack on with the illustrations!

After working out the story and following Brian Mcdonalds 'story-steps' I needed to work out the layout of the book. I have too many thumbnails to share to say the least but below is me trying to work out if there are any layouts that look too similar to each other in close proximity.


I dont think they are impressed...


Below are some some rough sketches I'm thinking of developing for the final spreads.





I'm still playing with layout, font, word placement etc but thought I'd share the story which you can read below.
NOTE: In my photoshop it keeps cropping the images/pdf after saving, if anyone knows why it would be a great help, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment