Saturday, 31 January 2015

Adaptation Part B: Skeleton and Proportion Research


Standard Proportions

Warping 

Vulture Skeleton and Stances
After my tutorial it was suggested to look into three main topics, skeletons/proportions of a human and a vulture, charicature and physiognomy. Here I have looked at the human skeleton and the vulture skeleton trying to understand proportions and where bones are the same size and where particular limbs fall .i.e. fingertips reach the middle thigh. In the first proportion sketch I have included a side profile of an elderly spine standing straight, this is just a reminder for me that if he were to stand tall his spine would still curve as his head would hang low. In the second sketch I have tried to distribute the proportions evenly but deliberately making the skeleton smaller as he will be hunched over. In the last sketch I have looked at a vulture skeleton and stances, but I am mostly interested in how its head sits on its spine, I also thought about whether the fur/feather coat of a vulture could help inspire me for hair on Rottcodds head or some of his clothing, it was interesting to see that the only bits on a vulture that look like feathers clearly are the ones on its wings and back. Using a reference I have tried to reciprocate the 'fluffy' or more straight hair parts of the vulture, I tried using just a smooth round brush and the blur tool and for the white fluffy bit I did the same process but used a texture brush as I couldn't quite get that light feel.
I am hoping to find a balance with the two skeletons for Rottcodd.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rosie...

    Take a look a page 38 - 41 of this Andrew Loomis book...

    https://illustrationage.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/andrew-loomis-figure-drawing-for-all-its-worth.pdf

    ReplyDelete