Friday, 23 January 2015

Adaptation Part B: Revisit and Research - Influence Maps

I have done three influence maps to help me think clearly -
Map 1 - Style:
After my tutorial it was suggested to do further research and to ramp up creativity and design I have looked at Terry Gillian and some of his productions; The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Monty Python & The Holy Grail and The Wholly Family. Whilst looking at Gillinas films it reminded me of some work that photographer Tim Walker had produced. They are both theatrical and have that charm about them where the visuals are unrealistic but we accept them as real because they're fun to look at and exaggerated.

Map 2 - Face:
Rottcodd thumbnails were looking a little generic, so instead of looking at 'old men' I have instead taken that 'theatre' vibe into account and applied it for the forms of the face, looking at goblins from the labyrinth and Harry Potter, Sketsies from The Dark Crystal and some reclusive animals, these include tortoise, vulture and an aye aye. Whilst looking at animals it reminded me of Daniel Lee work, his animal zodiac portraits where they are ordinary people but he has manipulated their face to show the influence of a particular animal

Map 3 - Era/Location/Costume
Upon research and further reading Gormenghast seems to be set in the Gothic era, around 16th century yet more fantastical and quirky. I have looked at 16th century clothing and paintings, the architecture (this could influence particular forms on the face, like an archway shape forming a wrinkle or eyebrow?) and patterns. I need Rottcodd to look as if he belongs to that environment.


Map 1


Map 2


Map 3






No comments:

Post a Comment