Thursday, 9 January 2014

Toolkit Drawing: Character Workshop: Lesson 1 - Styling


In our first class with Justin we were asked to bring in a character, I brought in Wolverine (from the X-Men). After talking about different types of style ranging from iconic to comic to realistic we were asked to make a separate character into our own chosen one. I received Tigger (from Disney 'Winnie the Pooh') and incorporated him into a more superhero form (above left). I feel I have done this well but I do need to think of my desired outcome before starting and constantly manipulating differing parts.
Next we were given another character and I had Winnie the Pooh, this time we needed to draw our own character (Wolverine) into the style of the 'given' image. I found this objective more challenging and I think this is because of the heavy contrast in them, my first attempts (above, middle) did improve and become quite comical as Pooh Bear in that stance became rather 'camp' with his Wolverine boots. However, this did look like Pooh Bear just dressing up as Wolverine rather than the marvel/comic style, my last attempt is a quick sketch (above, right) where I did get the basic shape right but I would have liked to finish it off in the workshop.




No comments:

Post a Comment